Antitrust Lawsuits Filed Against Microsoft -- After settlement talks collapsed this weekend, the United States Department of Justice and 20 states have filed closely related antitrust lawsuits against Microsoft. The lawsuits allege that Microsoft has illegally exploited its dominant position in operating systems to extend that dominance into the Internet software market. In addition, the lawsuit filed by the states accuses Microsoft of unfairly using its position to promote Microsoft Office at the expense of competitors. Microsoft has said that it will fight the charges in court, although Microsoft chairman Bill Gates also said the company is still open to settling. For more details, see ZDNet's "Special Report: U.S. v. Microsoft." [ACE]
Fun Way to Send Attachments in Mail
If you're working in a file that you want to attach to a message in Apple Mail, you can transfer the file to Mail easily: From the title bar of the file's window, drag the little proxy icon to Mail's icon on the Dock. Your Mac will make Mail the active application and open a new outgoing message, with the file attached.
(If your icon won't drag, the file probably isn't saved.)
Other articles in the series Playing Monopoly!
- Microsoft Settles with AOL for $750 Million (02 Jun 03)
- Final Judgment in Microsoft Antitrust Case (04 Nov 02)
- Was Bill Gates Lying? (29 Apr 02)
- Proposed Microsoft Settlement Rejected (14 Jan 02)
- Into the Briar Patch: Microsoft's Self-Serving Settlement (03 Dec 01)
- Government Drops Microsoft Breakup Effort (10 Sep 01)
- Microsoft Appeals Monopoly Ruling to Supreme Court (13 Aug 01)
- Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (02 Jul 01)
- Judge Orders Microsoft Breakup; Company to Appeal (12 Jun 00)
- Microsoft Violated Anti-Trust Laws (03 Apr 00)
- Judge Finds Microsoft a Monopoly (08 Nov 99)
- Microsoft Treading Antitrust Waters? (25 Mar 91)
- Microsoft and Intuit Terminate Merger (22 May 95)
- Truth, Justice, and the American Way (01 May 95)
- Can't Buy Me Love - Microsoft Antitrust Ruling (20 Feb 95)
- Who Do You Antitrust? Part 2 (23 Nov 98)
- Who Do You Antitrust? Part 1 (16 Nov 98)
- Microsoft Antitrust Case to Supreme Court (26 Jun 00)
Published in TidBITS 430.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Farewell MacWEEK, Welcome e/media Weekly
- Internet Explorer 4.01: Faster, More Stable
- New Photoshop 5 Learns to Edit Type
- CyberStudio 3 Goes Live
- Apple Logo Losing Its Colors
- AutoShare 2.3 Released
- Crossed Chips and Cables
- Apple Revises QuickTime 3 Licensing
- Look Different: Excellence in Apple Design
- Mac OS X: Rhapsody a Mac Developer Could Love
Antitrust Lawsuits Filed Against Microsoft
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>