Farewell MacWEEK, Welcome e/media Weekly -- Mac Publishing announced that as of the 24-Aug-98 issue, MacWEEK will change its name to e/media Weekly (or Emedia Weekly, or EMedia Weekly, depending on the source you read). The 11-year-old magazine's new tag line will be "The Newsweekly for Digital Media Managers;" the title change is the final step in a shift to focus on digital media professionals, regardless of platform. e/media Weekly will keep its controlled circulation at 85,000 readers, 70 percent of whom reportedly work in multi-platform environments. According to a report from Matthew Rothenberg, director of online content for Mac Publishing, MacWEEK Online will remain in operation. [ACE]
Is it a Unicode Font?
To determine if your font is Unicode-compliant, with all its characters coded and mapped correctly, choose the Font in any program (or in Font Book, set the preview area to Custom (Preview > Custom), and type Option-Shift-2.
If you get a euro character (a sort of uppercase C with two horizontal lines through its midsection), it's 99.9 percent certain the font is Unicode-compliant. If you get a graphic character that's gray rounded-rectangle frame with a euro character inside it, the font is definitely not Unicode-compliant. (The fact that the image has a euro sign in it is only coincidental: it's the image used for any missing currency sign.)
This assumes that you're using U.S. input keyboard, which is a little ironic when the euro symbol is the test. With the British keyboard, for instance, Option-2 produces the euro symbol if it's part of the font.
Other articles in the series Change the Presses!
- Macworld Returns to IDG (15 Oct 01)
- MacWEEK to Roll into MacCentral (05 Mar 01)
- Mac Publishing Buys MacCentral (07 Jun 99)
- eMediaweekly Folds After Five Months (08 Feb 99)
- Magazine Mergers, Media, and Advertising, Continued... (25 Aug 97)
- Magazine Merger Redux (18 Aug 97)
- MacUser and Macworld Merge (11 Aug 97)
Published in TidBITS 430.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Antitrust Lawsuits Filed Against Microsoft
- Internet Explorer 4.01: Faster, More Stable
- New Photoshop 5 Learns to Edit Type
- CyberStudio 3 Goes Live
- Apple Logo Losing Its Colors
- AutoShare 2.3 Released
- Crossed Chips and Cables
- Apple Revises QuickTime 3 Licensing
- Look Different: Excellence in Apple Design
- Mac OS X: Rhapsody a Mac Developer Could Love