Dr Solomon's Software, the current publisher of the Virex anti-virus utility, announced two Virex updates in quick succession last week to find and remove two newly discovered variants of the AutoStart 9805 worm, originally reported in "Autostart Worm Breaks Mac Malware Silence" in TidBITS 428. Dr Solomon's says the variants use different filenames from those used by the original AutoStart 9805 worm, making them harder to find, and replacing previous versions of the worm, if found. AutoStart 9805-B doesn't restart the computer, as do the others, and AutoStart 9805-C doesn't directly damage files. Also, the B variant targets different kinds of data files than the original for its damaging sweeps.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- "Autostart" Worm Breaks Mac Malware Silence (04 May 98)