Dr Solomon's Software, the current publisher of the Virex anti-virus utility, announced two Virex updates in quick succession last week to find and remove two newly discovered variants of the AutoStart 9805 worm, originally reported in "Autostart Worm Breaks Mac Malware Silence" in TidBITS 428. Dr Solomon's says the variants use different filenames from those used by the original AutoStart 9805 worm, making them harder to find, and replacing previous versions of the worm, if found. AutoStart 9805-B doesn't restart the computer, as do the others, and AutoStart 9805-C doesn't directly damage files. Also, the B variant targets different kinds of data files than the original for its damaging sweeps.
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- "Autostart" Worm Breaks Mac Malware Silence (04 May 98)
Worm Variants Wriggle Onto the Scene
Convert double-sided documents to PDF with the one-button ScanSnap.
Scan documents, business cards, and receipts, and eliminate
paper piles from your desk. Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>