Mailsmith 1.0.1 More Polished -- With the release of version 1.0.1, Bare Bones Software has applied a bit of polish to Mailsmith, the company's new email client program (see "Mailsmith Emerges from the Forge" in TidBITS-428). Important enhancements include easier creation of nested mailboxes, improved query progress behavior, better performance on PowerPC-based Macs using virtual memory, additional functionality in the Simple Query dialog box, and the capability to create "check only" and "send only" email accounts. Bare Bones has added other enhancements and fixed a number of bugs reported since the 1.0 release; full release notes list the changes. The update to Mailsmith 1.0.1 is either a 2.2 MB (BinHex) or 1.6 MB (MacBinary) download; the free 30-day demo has also been updated to 1.0.1. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Mailsmith Emerges from the Forge (04 May 98)