Macromedia Launches Fireworks -- Over the past few years, we've seen releases of several programs that aim to provide an all-in-one solution for designing Web pages. With its release of Fireworks 1.0, Macromedia is attempting to do the same for Web graphics: unite the many tools in a designer's toolbox into a one-stop solution. Incorporating text, vector, and bitmap drawing tools, Fireworks optimizes images for the Web, displays real-time previews of changes, and includes features for applying and removing text and graphics effects. Fireworks has an estimated street price of $299, and a 9.6 MB trial version is available. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.