Norton AntiVirus 5.01 Update for Mac OS 8.1 -- Symantec has released a free version 5.01 patch for English and International English versions of Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 5.0. The update addresses serious disk corruption problems that result from using Norton AntiVirus 5.0 on HFS "standard format" disks under Mac OS 8.1. (See "Norton AntiVirus Damaging to Mac OS 8.1 Disks" in TidBITS-434.) According to Symantec, version 5.01 corrects problems where files created in active SafeZones and then deleted would be reported as missing by disk repair utilities. The update is a 550K download. [GD]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Norton AntiVirus Damaging to Mac OS 8.1 Disks (15 Jun 98)
Norton AntiVirus 5.01 Update for Mac OS 8.1
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>