New Installer Versions Arrive -- Aladdin Systems and MindVision Software have released new versions of their popular installer programs. New features in Aladdin's InstallerMaker 5.0 include hierarchical packages, the capability to download and install files from the Web, and the capability to apply settings directly to items within folders in the installer archive. MindVision's Installer VISE 5.5 adds package dependencies, onscreen archive reports, compatibility with the upcoming Mac OS 8.5, and improved automation when updating the installer archive. Although both of these products are primarily aimed at developers, they also work well for anyone needing to distribute a customized set of software within an organization. Licensing terms for commercial use vary widely, but both companies offer special licensing terms to qualifying freeware and shareware authors: Aladdin's Just StuffIt Developers Program and MindVision's free Installer VISE license. You can download evaluation copies of both InstallerMaker 5.0 (5.3 MB MacBinary or 6.4 MB BinHex downloads) and Installer VISE 5.5 (1.2 MB Active Installer or 8.2 MB normal installer download). [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree