Connectix Corporation released a free upgrade to its popular memory optimization tool RAM Doubler this week, tweaking the utility's speed and offering greater stability under some circumstances. This release comes on the heels of the RAM Doubler 8 upgrade, free to registered users of the software (see "Free Ram Doubler 8 Update" in TidBITS 439). Version 8.01 resolves problems using the RAM Doubler control panel with older versions of the Finder in low-memory situations, speeds up application launches on PowerPC-based machines with large amounts of memory, and fixes a rare problem where a write-protection fault by other applications could freeze the computer. The updater is a 390K download available from the Connectix Web site.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Free RAM Doubler 8 Update (20 Jul 98)