RAM Doubler 8 Upgrade Adds Speed, Stability -- Connectix Corporation released a free upgrade to its memory optimization tool RAM Doubler last week, tweaking the utility's speed and offering greater stability. This release follows on the heels of the RAM Doubler 8 upgrade, free to registered users of RAM Doubler 2.x (see "Free RAM Doubler 8 Update" in TidBITS-439). Version 8.0.1 resolves problems using the RAM Doubler control panel with older versions of the Finder in low-memory situations, speeds up application launches on PowerPC-based Macs with large amounts of memory, and fixes a rare problem where a write-protection fault by other applications could freeze the computer. The updater is a 390K download. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Free RAM Doubler 8 Update (20 Jul 98)