Conflict Catcher Completes Mac OS 8.5 Compatibility -- Casady & Greene today released a free update to Conflict Catcher 8.0, adding full Mac OS 8.5 compatibility. The previous version, 8.0.1, provided partial information for performing a Clean-Install System Merge with Mac OS 8.5; the new Conflict Catcher 8.0.2 completes the feature in anticipation of Apple's new operating system later this month. The 8.0.2 update also includes support for more monitor types, along with additional descriptions of startup files. For more information about Conflict Catcher 8, see "Nice Catch, Conflict Catcher" in TidBITS-446. The 8.0.2 updater is a 1.8 MB download. [JLC]<http://db.tidbits.com/article/05086>
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Nice Catch, Conflict Catcher (14 Sep 98)