AOL & Netscape? America Online and Netscape Communications have confirmed that they're considering a deal where America Online would acquire Netscape for $4 billion in AOL stock, and Sun Microsystems would either acquire or license Netscape's high-end business and enterprise server products. If the deal goes through, AOL would take over Netscape's Web browser software (which represents about half the browser market) and Netscape's heavily used NetCenter Web site. Microsoft is using rumors of the deal to press its side in the Microsoft antitrust trial, saying that it shows that Microsoft does face the possibility of robust competition without government intervention. Microsoft's opponents will likely argue that the deal is further evidence that even large companies like Netscape can't stand against Microsoft. [GD].
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- 1Password 6.0.2
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard