Conflict Catcher 8.0.4 for Mac OS 8.5.1 -- Casady & Greene has released a free Conflict Catcher 8.0.4 update that adds support for performing a Clean-Install System Merge under Mac OS 8.5.1, includes Base and All extension sets for Mac OS 8.5.1 (which could be lost using previous versions of Conflict Catcher), and updates the reference library with additional file descriptions (including Sherlock plug-ins). (See "Nice Catch, Conflict Catcher" in TidBITS-446 for a review of Conflict Catcher 8.) You can download the 1.9 MB update from Casady & Greene's Web site. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Nice Catch, Conflict Catcher (14 Sep 98)