Norton Utilities for Macintosh Updated to 4.0.3 -- Symantec has released a free 4.0.3 updater for Norton Utilities for Macintosh. Changes in 4.0.3 include only the use of Mac OS 8.5.1 on the bootable CD-ROM for new purchasers and a minor fix for UnErase. Version 4.0.2, for which there was no online update, had more extensive changes and fixes to 4.0.1, including general items like "Disk Doctor 4.0.2 includes enhancements that improve repair capabilities and reduce instances of unrepairable errors," along with specific fixes to less-important modules like DiskLight and WipeInfo. Since the full 4.0.3 update is large at 11.9 MB, Symantec has also posted incremental updates. Although it's good to see Symantec updating Norton Utilities 4.0, that release did significant damage to the disk repair utility's reputation (see "Norton Utilities 4.0 Problem Reports Abound" in TidBITS-451). We can recommend only that you proceed with caution and make sure you have a good backup before using any version of Norton Utilities 4.0. [ACE]
Easy Fetch Upload
If you want to upload an open file (e.g. in Photoshop or BBEdit) to a remote server via the Fetch FTP client, you can use drag-and drop without switching to the Finder. Just drag the small document icon in the window title bar to a Fetch window. If the icon won't drag, make sure the file is saved.
Visit Fetch Softworks
- Norton Utilities 4.0 Problem Reports Abound (19 Oct 98)
Published in TidBITS 466.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Extensis Rescuing Suitcase
- PowerBook Patch Prevents Power Pops
- Virtual PC 2.1.2 Adds USB Support
- Aladdin Ships Faster StuffIt Expander 5.1
- Connectix Wins First Round of Sony Lawsuit
- KeyQuencer 2.5.5 Offers Mac OS 8.5 Compatibility
- eMediaweekly Folds After Five Months
- Tools We Use: Desktop Resetter
- Elementary, My Dear Sherlock