Extensis Rescuing Suitcase -- Extensis Corporation has announced an exclusive agreement with Symantec to take over development, distribution, and marketing of Suitcase, the venerable font management tool for the Mac. (See "Font Outfitters" in TidBITS-334 for a comparison of Suitcase 3.0 and MasterJuggler Pro 2.0.) Symantec originally acquired Suitcase with Fifth Generation Systems in 1993. Under Symantec's management, Suitcase saw one major update to version 3.0 but has otherwise been ignored. With this agreement, Suitcase may become one of the only products to escape Symantec's gravity well. During the second quarter of 1999, Extensis plans to release its first update to Suitcase, which hopefully will resolve widely reported problems using Suitcase 3.0 with Mac OS 8.5. Neither Extensis nor Symantec have disclosed financial details of the agreement. [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Schedule Fetch to Work Automatically
Although Fetch doesn't have a built-in scheduler, you can use iCal along with Fetch's Mirror command or Automator support to automatically upload or download files at a specified time. To find out how...
Published in TidBITS 466.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Norton Utilities for Macintosh Updated to 4.0.3
- PowerBook Patch Prevents Power Pops
- Virtual PC 2.1.2 Adds USB Support
- Aladdin Ships Faster StuffIt Expander 5.1
- Connectix Wins First Round of Sony Lawsuit
- KeyQuencer 2.5.5 Offers Mac OS 8.5 Compatibility
- eMediaweekly Folds After Five Months
- Tools We Use: Desktop Resetter
- Elementary, My Dear Sherlock