PowerBook Patch Prevents Power Pops -- Apple has released the PowerBook G3 Series Modem Extension 1.0.2, which fixes a handful of annoyances related to turning the PowerBook G3's built-in 56K modem on or off. When the computer is put to sleep, power is immediately turned off to avoid draining the battery. Also, the sound monitor source is toggled to None when turning the modem on or off to prevent a popping sound. The update is a 190K self-mounting disk image. [JLC]
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Published in TidBITS 466.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Norton Utilities for Macintosh Updated to 4.0.3
- Extensis Rescuing Suitcase
- Virtual PC 2.1.2 Adds USB Support
- Aladdin Ships Faster StuffIt Expander 5.1
- Connectix Wins First Round of Sony Lawsuit
- KeyQuencer 2.5.5 Offers Mac OS 8.5 Compatibility
- eMediaweekly Folds After Five Months
- Tools We Use: Desktop Resetter
- Elementary, My Dear Sherlock