The latest update to Power On Software's popular Action Files now overrides Apple's Navigation Services under Mac OS 8.5 in favor of the enhanced Open and Save dialog boxes provided by Action Files, plus rolls in a handful of fixes. (See "Get a Piece of the Action Files" in TidBITS 434). Currently, not many applications support Navigation Services, which replaces the traditional Open and Save dialog boxes in the Mac OS; Action Files 1.2 now appears in place of all applications' Open and Save dialog boxes. Additionally, the update features increased compatibility with Kaleidoscope, works better with aliases and volumes exceeding 4 GB, and allows more control over the program's default settings. Action Files owners can download the new version (1.1 MB) from Power On Software.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Get a Piece of the ACTION Files (15 Jun 98)