Action Files 1.2 Usurps Nav Services -- The latest update to Power On Software's popular Action Files now overrides Apple's Navigation Services under Mac OS 8.5 in favor of the enhanced Open and Save dialog boxes provided by Action Files, plus rolls in a handful of fixes. (See "Get a Piece of the Action Files" in TidBITS-434). Currently, few applications support Navigation Services, which replaces the traditional Open and Save dialog boxes in the Mac OS; Action Files 1.2 now appears in place of all applications' Open and Save dialog boxes. Additionally, the update features increased compatibility with Kaleidoscope, works better with aliases and volumes exceeding 4 GB, and allows more control over the program's default settings. Action Files owners can download the new version (1.1 MB) from Power On Software and use it with existing registration numbers. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software