Aladdin Releases DropStuff 5.1 -- Aladdin Systems last week released version 5.1 of their $30 shareware DropStuff utility for creating StuffIt 5.0 format archives, which can be expanded only by StuffIt Deluxe 5.0, StuffIt Expander 5.1, or by themselves if saved as self-extracting archives. DropStuff 5.1 includes four components: the DropStuff application, the Aladdin Compression control panel (which lets you choose between speed and size when compressing), the StuffIt Engine, and the StuffIt Engine PowerPlug. These last two also provide access to more decoders than are built into StuffIt Expander 5.1. DropStuff 5.1 requires System 7.5.3 or later and a 68020-based Mac with at least 8 MB of RAM. DropStuff 5.1 is a 1.2 MB download and is a free upgrade for DropStuff 4.5 users. People using older versions of the system software or who need to create StuffIt 4.0 format archives (the format didn't change in StuffIt 4.5) can stick with an earlier version or download DropStuff 4.0, which also appears to work fine on current systems. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software