Mailsmith 1.1.3 Update from Bare Bones -- Bare Bones Software has released version 1.1.3 of Mailsmith, their sophisticated POP and SMTP email program. Version 1.1.3 includes a new POP Monitor window that enables users to download or delete messages selectively from a remote POP server, enhanced manipulation of quoted text in messages, improvements to Mailsmith's mail storage database, and an assortment of interface enhancements and feature additions (a full list of changes is available). The Mailsmith 1.1.3 updater is a 3 MB download, free to current Mailsmith owners. Mailsmith costs $79 directly from Bare Bones, although BBEdit and BBEdit Lite users as well as owners of Qualcomm's Eudora or Claris Emailer can take advantage of a $59 discounted price. You can download a free Mailsmith demo (3.6 MB) from the Bare Bones Web site. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree