Extensis Unpacks New Suitcase 8 -- After resurrecting Suitcase from Symantec's Macintosh product graveyard (see "Extensis Rescuing Suitcase" in TidBITS-466), Extensis announced today that a new version of the venerable font control utility is now available via Extensis's Web site. Suitcase 8 features compatibility with System 7.5.5 and higher, plus improved font selection and set management. Additional baggage in the Suitcase family include Suitcase FontAgent, which offers font file diagnosis and troubleshooting features, and Suitcase 8 XT, a QuarkXPress XTension for automatically activating fonts when opening XPress documents. Suitcase 8 costs $90 for new owners in the U.S. ($100 for the International English version), $40 for those upgrading from previous Suitcase versions, or $50 for users of other font management utilities. You can download Suitcase 8 as a free 30-day demo (3.1 MB); a serial number can be purchased at the Extensis Online Store, though Suitcase was not listed at press time. Packaged versions will begin shipping 21-Apr-99. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Extensis Rescuing Suitcase (08 Feb 99)