StuffIt Expander & DropStuff 5.1.2 -- Aladdin Systems has released version 5.1.2 of both its freeware StuffIt Expander and shareware DropStuff compression utilities. StuffIt Expander 5.1.2 fixes problems decoding Zip files encoded in MacBinary format and enables users to launch StuffIt Expander by double-clicking a StuffIt archive. DropStuff 5.1.2 fixes a bug in the StuffIt Engine and PowerPC-only StuffIt Engine PowerPlug that would cause StuffIt Expander to report errors processing MacBinary-encoded StuffIt 3.x or 4.x archives. StuffIt Expander is free and a 700K download; DropStuff is $30 shareware and a 1.2 MB download. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- StuffIt Deluxe 5.1 & Expander 5.1.3 (03 May 99)