Update Firms Performance for Blue G3 Macs -- Apple is recommending that all owners of blue and white Power Mac G3 computers install the Power Macintosh G3 Firmware Update 1.0.2. The update improves performance of PCI devices and the built-in FireWire ports, plus includes enhanced support for NetBoot and minor changes to the Open Firmware for Mac OS X Server. Be sure to follow the installation instructions; the updater resets your Parameter RAM (PRAM) and requires that you hold down the programmer's button (located on the front of the case) while starting up the machine to verify that the firmware is up to date. The Firmware Update 1.0.2 is an 870K download that works on all worldwide systems. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Update Firms Performance for Blue G3 Macs
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and