TidBITS Available in Russian -- Thanks to the diligent efforts of Leif Halvard Silli, Zoia Nikolskaia, and a few others, you can now read TidBITS in Russian. Several issues are available on the Web now, and if you want to receive future Russian issues in email, send a message to <email@example.com>. Please help spread the word to other Russian-speaking Macintosh users! Leif and Zoia can also use additional translation help, so if you'd like to volunteer, check out the Web site for details and contact information. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
TidBITS Available in Russian
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and