Synchronize Pro 4.0 Syncs over Internet -- Qdea has released Synchronize Pro 4.0, an update to its industrial-strength synchronization utility that now works over the Internet. (See "Tools We Use: Synchronize" in TidBITS-482 for a review of Synchronize Pro's sister utility.) Synchronize Pro enables you to back up, synchronize, or mirror files using TCP/IP; as a result, local network operations perform faster than using AppleTalk. Copying or comparing files can be automated and scheduled. The utility can also initiate and close AppleTalk Remote Access connections, mirror AppleShare privileges to other file servers, and shut down the computer or put it to sleep. A limited version of Synchronize Pro 4.0 is available as a 1.8 MB download and works for free on folders of 10 MB or less. The unrestricted version of the program costs $100. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Tools We Use: Synchronize (24 May 99)