Synchronize Pro 4.0 Syncs over Internet -- Qdea has released Synchronize Pro 4.0, an update to its industrial-strength synchronization utility that now works over the Internet. (See "Tools We Use: Synchronize" in TidBITS-482 for a review of Synchronize Pro's sister utility.) Synchronize Pro enables you to back up, synchronize, or mirror files using TCP/IP; as a result, local network operations perform faster than using AppleTalk. Copying or comparing files can be automated and scheduled. The utility can also initiate and close AppleTalk Remote Access connections, mirror AppleShare privileges to other file servers, and shut down the computer or put it to sleep. A limited version of Synchronize Pro 4.0 is available as a 1.8 MB download and works for free on folders of 10 MB or less. The unrestricted version of the program costs $100. [JLC]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Tools We Use: Synchronize (24 May 99)