Farallon Ships SkyLINE Wireless PC Card -- With Apple's AirPort still under construction, Farallon has flown out of the Macintosh wireless networking gate with the SkyLINE Wireless PC Card, which provides 2 Mbps wireless Ethernet capabilities to Macs and PCs with PC Card slots. SkyLINE uses the same 802.11 wireless Ethernet standard as Apple's forthcoming 11 Mbps AirPort technology, and Farallon's preliminary testing has shown the two to be compatible. A SkyLINE-equipped Mac can also work with access points (the equivalent of the AirPort Base Station) from Nokia, Lucent, MaxTech, Nortel, and Zoom, or it can do peer-to-peer ad hoc networking with another SkyLINE-equipped Mac. SkyLINE's range is up to 1,000 feet (305 meters) outside or up to 300 feet (91 meters) indoors. Each SkyLINE card costs $300 and is certified for use in North America, Australia, and Europe (except France and Spain), with certification expected in France, Spain, and Japan. Even once Apple's AirPort opens to the public, SkyLINE should remain popular for bringing existing PowerBooks into the wireless skies.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- 1Password 6.0.2
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard
- Farallon Ships 11 Mbps Wireless SkyLINE Card (22 May 00)