DataViz Offers More Documents to Go for Palms -- DataViz has released version 2.002 of Documents to Go, its utility for viewing word processing and spreadsheet documents on Palm handheld devices. (We first mentioned Documents to Go in "Palm Desktop Marks Return of a Familiar Organizer" in TidBITS-469.) The update, which is available for both Macintosh and Windows editions of the software, adds the capability to create, edit, and delete bookmarks within spreadsheets and word processing files, including support for Word 98's Insert Bookmark command on the Mac. The Macintosh version also now reads AppleWorks/ClarisWorks 5 documents, supports AppleScript, and provides a contextual menu item for adding new documents without having to launch the Documents to Go application. The upgrade is free for registered users, and is a 4.9 MB download. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software