Apple Posts $111 Million Profit -- Apple Computer announced a net profit of $111 million on $1.34 billion in revenue for its fourth fiscal quarter, with earnings of $601 million on $6.1 billion in revenue for the 1999 fiscal year. Apple's Q4 results were down 14 percent from the same quarter a year ago, but Apple's 1999 revenue and earnings were up from 1998, which had earnings of $309 million on $5.9 billion in revenue. Apple's gross margin for its fourth quarter was a healthy 28.7 percent, but the Q4 earnings reflect one-time gains from restructuring and seemingly perpetual sales of shares in ARM Holdings plc.; without these, Apple's net profit would have been $90 million. International sales accounted for only 35 percent of Apple's revenues this quarter. Although Apple's results technically beat analysts' expectations - after issuing a warning a few weeks earlier to reduce those expectations - Apple attributes the revenue slump to costs associated with product transitions and limited availability of the PowerPC G4 processor from Motorola. Rampant rumors of new systems were another factor, causing some customers to put off purchasing decisions. Apple says it expects a strong December quarter. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Other articles in the series Apple Financials
- Apple Posts Strong Q4 2006 Financials (23 Oct 06)
- Apple Reports $472 Million Q3 2006 Profit (24 Jul 06)
- Apple Posts $410 Million Q2 2006 Profit (01 May 06)
- Apple Posts $565 Million Q1 2006 Profit (23 Jan 06)
- Apple Quadruples Q4 Profit (17 Oct 05)
- Apple Revenue Balloons to $3.5 Billion in Third Quarter (18 Jul 05)
- Apple Posts Highest Ever First Quarter Profit (17 Jan 05)
- Apple Reports $106 Million Fourth Quarter Profit (18 Oct 04)
- Apple Posts $61 million Q3 Profit, Confirms G5 iMacs (19 Jul 04)
- Apple Posts $46 million Q2 Profit (26 Apr 04)
- Apple Posts $44 Million Fourth Quarter Profit (20 Oct 03)
- Apple Posts $19 Million Q3 Profit (21 Jul 03)
- Apple Posts $14 Million Q2 Profit (21 Apr 03)
- Apple Posts $8 Million Loss (20 Jan 03)
- Apple Posts $45 Million Q4 Loss (21 Oct 02)
- Apple Posts $32 Million Q3 Profit (22 Jul 02)
- Apple Posts $38 Million Profit (21 Jan 02)
- Apple Posts $66 Million Profit (22 Oct 01)
- Apple Posts $61 Million Q3 Profit (23 Jul 01)
- PowerBook G4 Titanium Propels Apple $43 Million Profit (23 Apr 01)
- Apple Announces Less of a Loss (22 Jan 01)
- Apple Posts $170 Million Profit (23 Oct 00)
- Apple Posts $200 Million Profit & Returns to Circuit City (24 Jul 00)
- Apple Announces $233 Million Profit and 2-for-1 Split (24 Apr 00)
- Apple Posts $183 Million Profit (24 Jan 00)
- Apple Pulls In $203 Million (19 Jul 99)
- Apple Pockets $135 Million in Profit (19 Apr 99)
- Apple Records $152 Million Profit (18 Jan 99)
- iMac Propels Apple to $106 Million in Earnings (19 Oct 98)
- Apple Racks Up $101 Million Profit (20 Jul 98)
- Jobs Announces $45 Million Profit (12 Jan 98)
- The good news (18 Oct 93)
- Small Apple Loss Better Than Expected (22 Jul 96)
- Apple Posts Quarterly... Profit! (21 Oct 96)
- Apple Posts Lower-than-Expected Q3 Loss (21 Jul 97)
- Apple to Reorganize & Lay Off 1,300 People (22 Jan 96)
- Fourth Down, $100 Million To Go (06 Jan 97)
- Apple Posts $55 Million Quarterly Profit (20 Apr 98)
- Apple Store Books $500,000 in 12 Hours (17 Nov 97)
- Apple Posts $161 Million Fourth Quarter Loss (20 Oct 97)
- Apple to Lose $700 Million (01 Apr 96)
- Apple Posts $708 Million Loss (21 Apr 97)