Keyspan Offers Remote Control for Software -- Keyspan is now shipping the Digital Media Remote, a small hardware transmitter/receiver combination that provides remote control capabilities for digital media playback software, such as QuickTime Player, PowerPoint, MP3 players, CD players, and DVD players. The Digital Media Remote receiver plugs into a USB port and accepts infrared signals from the 15-key remote control from up to 35 feet away. The receiver converts the signals from the remote into keystrokes for controlling applications. The Digital Media Remote includes key maps for popular applications, and you can customize the software to work with any application. The Digital Media Remote costs $79 and is available from Keyspan resellers. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Better than Flying by Wire (31 Jan 00)