DiskWarrior Update Adds Mac OS 9 Support -- Alsoft's repair utility DiskWarrior has been updated to version 1.1, taking advantage of file system improvements introduced in Mac OS 9 (see "Fighting Corruption with Alsoft's DiskWarrior" in TidBITS-486). DiskWarrior 1.1 now repairs overlapped files larger than 2 GB, as well as disks with folders containing more than 32,000 items (previously, the fix could be made, but not verified). AppleScript scripts for DiskWarrior also work better under non-English systems. The free DiskWarrior 1.1 Updater is a 588K download. [JLC]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Fighting Corruption with Alsoft's DiskWarrior (21 Jun 99)