Aladdin Systems Sponsoring TidBITS -- We're pleased to welcome our latest sponsor, Aladdin Systems, the long-standing Macintosh company best known for the StuffIt family of programs. Aladdin went through a rough patch several years ago, culminating in the jerky release of the new StuffIt 5.0 format last year, which added better compression and made StuffIt archives fully cross-platform. Since then, though, the company has been firing on all cylinders, releasing fixes and upgrades to the StuffIt 5.0 products, bringing out new programs like MacTicker, and becoming publicly traded. The future may bring increased competition from MindVision, whose MindExpander took aim at StuffIt Expander recently. But Aladdin thrived on competition from DiskDoubler and Compact Pro back in the early 1990s, and new competition can only help move the compression market forward more quickly. We're happy to have Aladdin on board, and we wish them well as they continue to offer new and upgraded Macintosh utilities. [ACE]
Arrange Icons on the iPhone/iPod touch Home Screens
Unhappy with the arrangement of your icons? You can move them around as follows: First, hold down on any Home screen icon until all the icons wiggle. Now, drag the icons to their desired locations (drag left or right to get to other screens). Finally, press the physical Home button on your device. (Unlike earlier releases, iPhone Software 2.1 doesn't move just-updated apps to the end of your Home screens, so your icons should be more stationary once you've installed the update.)
Remember that you can replace Apple's default icons in the four persistent spots at the bottom of the screen with your four most-used apps!
- Aladdin Updates StuffIt Line for Mac OS 9 (22 Nov 99)
- Aladdin Systems Goes Public (01 Nov 99)
- MindVision Offers Expansion Option with MindExpander (27 Sep 99)
Published in TidBITS 508.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Revs G4s, Adds Digital Video Options
- Free QuarkXPress 4.1 Upgrade
- Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9
- UserLand Releases Frontier 6.1
- StarNine Releases Free ListSTAR 2.0 Upgrade
- Trexar Improves Privacy with MacWasher
- MacLaunch Web Portal Launches
- Send Us Your 1999 Gift Ideas
- Poll Results: A Mouse in the House
- Poll Preview: Smile and Say "Pixel"
- Working Off the Beaten Track
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 1