Free QuarkXPress 4.1 Upgrade -- Quark, Inc. has begun shipping its free QuarkXPress 4.1 Upgrade to registered users of QuarkXPress 4.0. The new version improves support for creating and importing PDF files, boosts QuarkXPress's HTML text exporting capabilities, and bundles several new XTensions. QuarkXPress 4.1 also includes QuarkLink, a feature that allows you to access the QuarkTech Knowledge Base and online support forums (via a Web browser), plus send email to Quark's customer service and tech support. Whether QuarkLink turns out to be a useful feature for users or just a glorified set of Web and email links remains to be seen. Registered users should expect their 4.1 Upgrade CD-ROM before the end of the year; the update cannot be downloaded. [JLC]
Avoid Simple Typos
If, like me, you find yourself typing 2911 in place of 2011 entirely too often, you can have Mac OS X (either Lion or Snow Leopard) fix such typos for you automatically. Just open the Language & Text pane of System Preferences, click the Text button at the top, and then add a text substitution by clicking the + button underneath the list. It won't work everywhere (for that you'll want a utility like Smile's TextExpander), but it should work in applications like Pages and TextEdit, and in Save dialog boxes.
Published in TidBITS 508.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Aladdin Systems Sponsoring TidBITS
- Apple Revs G4s, Adds Digital Video Options
- Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9
- UserLand Releases Frontier 6.1
- StarNine Releases Free ListSTAR 2.0 Upgrade
- Trexar Improves Privacy with MacWasher
- MacLaunch Web Portal Launches
- Send Us Your 1999 Gift Ideas
- Poll Results: A Mouse in the House
- Poll Preview: Smile and Say "Pixel"
- Working Off the Beaten Track
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 1