Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9 -- Microsoft has released a 2.7 MB update to Microsoft Office 98 for Mac OS 9. The update is designed to address two specific issues with Office 98 under Mac OS 9: the Format Chart dialog in Excel and Graph should display correctly, and PowerPoint should be able to print to a USB Epson 740 printer. The updater works only with the English language edition of Office 98; Microsoft plans to make updaters for other languages available via its Mac Office Web pages. Also, note this update does not include previous updates to Office 98, which address issues with Mac OS 8.5 and the Memo and Resume Wizards, plus security concerns with unique identifier codes and OLE potentially embedding unrelated data from your computer in Office documents. [GD]
Single Time Machine Backups
Tired of Time Machine running all the time? You can turn it off in the Time Machine preference pane, but still initiate a single backup by choosing Back Up Now from Time Machine's menu bar icon. Of course, your backup is much less likely to be up to date, but Time Machine won't be taking any resources while you're trying to work.
- Oil of OLE: Document Security and You (06 Jul 98)
Published in TidBITS 508.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Aladdin Systems Sponsoring TidBITS
- Apple Revs G4s, Adds Digital Video Options
- Free QuarkXPress 4.1 Upgrade
- UserLand Releases Frontier 6.1
- StarNine Releases Free ListSTAR 2.0 Upgrade
- Trexar Improves Privacy with MacWasher
- MacLaunch Web Portal Launches
- Send Us Your 1999 Gift Ideas
- Poll Results: A Mouse in the House
- Poll Preview: Smile and Say "Pixel"
- Working Off the Beaten Track
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 1