MacLaunch Web Portal Launches -- After an extensive beta period, MacLaunch has opened its Macintosh-specific portal Web site to the general public, offering a range of common portal features with a Mac-centric approach. Services include free email and Web space, discussion groups, software updates, stock tracking, shopping, faxing of Web pages, chats, and more, along with Macintosh news from a variety of sources, including TidBITS. Although none of MacLaunch's services are particularly unique (most of them being provided by partner sites), the breadth of the collection is impressive and might make MacLaunch a useful starting point for Mac-centric surfing. [ACE]
Beware Country-Specific iTunes Stores
If you buy an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, and you happen to be a user of the iTunes Store in more than one country, take note which country's store you're viewing in iTunes when you plug in the device for the first time. This will be the country the device will register with, and you will be forever barred from purchasing or even updating free apps from anywhere else. The only way out is to delete everything on the device and do a full restore.
Visit Eolake's Blog
Published in TidBITS 508.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Aladdin Systems Sponsoring TidBITS
- Apple Revs G4s, Adds Digital Video Options
- Free QuarkXPress 4.1 Upgrade
- Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9
- UserLand Releases Frontier 6.1
- StarNine Releases Free ListSTAR 2.0 Upgrade
- Trexar Improves Privacy with MacWasher
- Send Us Your 1999 Gift Ideas
- Poll Results: A Mouse in the House
- Poll Preview: Smile and Say "Pixel"
- Working Off the Beaten Track
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 1