Send Us Your 1999 Gift Ideas -- In preparation for our 1999 TidBITS holiday gift issue, we want to know which Macintosh-related gifts you're planning to buy for friends and family (or hoping that they'll buy for you!). We'll collate the responses and roll the best into a special TidBITS Gift Issue this month. Like last year, we're gathering suggestions using TidBITS Talk, so send your suggestion to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. We've already initiated gift-related threads you may want to check out for ideas and categories. Please send only one item per message, include a URL or other contact information, and please recommend only others' products. We're looking forward to your ideas! [JLC]
Sleep (and Lock) Your Screen
When you are walking away from your computer, it's fairly common practice to start your screen saver and lock your screen. But did you know that there is a built-in keyboard shortcut in Mac OS X to sleep the screen?
Press Control-Shift-Eject and your monitor sleeps without engaging the screen saver.
Published in TidBITS 508.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Aladdin Systems Sponsoring TidBITS
- Apple Revs G4s, Adds Digital Video Options
- Free QuarkXPress 4.1 Upgrade
- Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9
- UserLand Releases Frontier 6.1
- StarNine Releases Free ListSTAR 2.0 Upgrade
- Trexar Improves Privacy with MacWasher
- MacLaunch Web Portal Launches
- Poll Results: A Mouse in the House
- Poll Preview: Smile and Say "Pixel"
- Working Off the Beaten Track
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 1