Macworld SF Netter's Dinner 2000 -- Speaking of Macworld Expo, if you're interested in attending the annual Netter's Dinner, visit Jon Pugh's Netter's Dinner 2000 Web page for information and a link to the Kagi-based signup form ($17 per person) for the necessary pre-registration. It doesn't look like Jon will be able to attend this year, so I'll again be emceeing the dinner and performing the ritual raise-your-hands survey. We'll start gathering at 6:00 PM on Thursday, 06-Jan-00, at the top of the escalators inside Moscone on the south side of Howard Street. At 6:30, after we've all gathered, we'll make the traditional walk to the Hunan on Sansome and Broadway in an impressively large crowd. Space is limited to 300 people, so register early! [ACE]
Springy Dock Tricks
If you drag a file and hover over Dock icons, various useful things happen which are similar to Finder springing. If it's a window, the window un-minimizes from the Dock. If it's a stack, the corresponding folder in the Finder opens. If it's the Finder, it brings the Finder to the foreground and opens a window if one doesn't exist already. But the coolest (and most hidden) springing trick is if you hover over an application and press the Space bar, the application comes to the foreground. This is great for things like grabbing a file from somewhere to drop into a Mail composition window that's otherwise hidden. Grab the file you want, hover over the Mail icon, press the Space bar, and Mail comes to the front for you to drop the file into the compose window. Be sure that Spring-Loaded Folders and Windows is enabled in the Finder Preferences window.
Visit plucky tree
- TidBITS Appearances at Macworld SF (03 Jan 00)
Published in TidBITS 509.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Holiday Hiatus
- IBM Ships ViaVoice Speech Recognition
- The Tilery 4.1 Improves Display Options
- Anarchie 3.7 Rolls In Mac TCP Watcher
- StarNine Ships WebSTAR Server Suite 4.1
- Free SoundJam 1.5 Update Improves MP3 Encoding
- Macworld Expo SF '00 Events List Online
- Poll Preview: Digital Exposure Time
- Eudora 4.3 Public Beta Adds Free Usage Modes
- Macintosh-Windows Translation Dictionary
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 2