Poll Preview: Digital Exposure Time -- This week's issue offers the second part of Arthur Bleich's article on digital cameras, and the polls will continue to follow along this week and next, with a special poll that will appear during the final week of the year. The question this week, then, is when did you (or do you) plan to buy a digital camera? Next week's question will narrow the topic even further, asking how much you paid for your camera. As always, visit our home page to vote. [ACE]
Is it a Unicode Font?
To determine if your font is Unicode-compliant, with all its characters coded and mapped correctly, choose the Font in any program (or in Font Book, set the preview area to Custom (Preview > Custom), and type Option-Shift-2.
If you get a euro character (a sort of uppercase C with two horizontal lines through its midsection), it's 99.9 percent certain the font is Unicode-compliant. If you get a graphic character that's gray rounded-rectangle frame with a euro character inside it, the font is definitely not Unicode-compliant. (The fact that the image has a euro sign in it is only coincidental: it's the image used for any missing currency sign.)
This assumes that you're using U.S. input keyboard, which is a little ironic when the euro symbol is the test. With the British keyboard, for instance, Option-2 produces the euro symbol if it's part of the font.
Published in TidBITS 509.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Holiday Hiatus
- IBM Ships ViaVoice Speech Recognition
- The Tilery 4.1 Improves Display Options
- Anarchie 3.7 Rolls In Mac TCP Watcher
- StarNine Ships WebSTAR Server Suite 4.1
- Free SoundJam 1.5 Update Improves MP3 Encoding
- Macworld Expo SF '00 Events List Online
- Macworld SF Netter's Dinner 2000
- Eudora 4.3 Public Beta Adds Free Usage Modes
- Macintosh-Windows Translation Dictionary
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 2