Sleep Memory Extension Blocks Laptop Bug -- Apple's new Sleep Memory Extension helps protect iBook and PowerBook (FireWire) computers from data loss or corruption when using the "Preserve memory contents on sleep" feature under low memory situations (see "iBook, PowerBook Data Loss Problem Noted" in TidBITS-521). The extension, a 184K download, disables the "Preserve memory contents on sleep" checkbox in the Energy Saver control panel. This disables the computer's capability to preserve memory contents to disk for recovery in the event of total power loss during sleep; however, it also prevents users from stumbling into the data loss problem associated with the feature. We still expect Apple to address the actual problem in an upcoming software release; in the meantime, this extension keeps users out of harm's way. The extension works on English and localized versions of the Mac OS, though the ReadMe file is available in only English. [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the TidBITS Content Network for Apple consultants.
Published in TidBITS 522.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Look Elsewhere for PowerBook (FireWire) Security
- ACI Buys StarNine Technologies
- Connectix Ships Virtual PC with Linux
- ACTION Files 1.5.2 Update Released
- Poll Results: Palm Before the Storm
- Poll Preview: Clear as Mud
- Which Handheld Belongs in Your Palm?
- Building Characters: A Brief History of the Web War