Look Elsewhere for PowerBook (FireWire) Security -- Apple has issued a Tech Info Library article warning owners of new PowerBook (FireWire) machines not to install the Password Security control panel. Although the control panel shipped with Mac OS 8.6 (it isn't included by default on laptops using Mac OS 9), copying it from another machine for use on a PowerBook (FireWire) can result in damaged or lost data. Apple recommends that owners instead use the password feature found in the Multiple Users control panel. (See "Major Features in Mac OS 9" in TidBITS-503 for more on working with Multiple Users.) [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Major Features in Mac OS 9 (25 Oct 99)