ACI Buys StarNine Technologies -- ACI US, makers of the high-end 4D relational database, have purchased StarNine Technologies, makers of the WebSTAR Server Suite and ListSTAR, from Platinum Equity Holdings. The acquisition provides ACI with significantly beefed-up presence in the Macintosh Web server market, plus the code and personnel to improve 4D's position as a Web-enabled database. Since Web publishing has increasingly been supported by back end databases, it would seem likely that we'll see additional integration between WebSTAR and 4D in the future. [ACE]
Avoid Simple Typos
If, like me, you find yourself typing 2911 in place of 2011 entirely too often, you can have Mac OS X (either Lion or Snow Leopard) fix such typos for you automatically. Just open the Language & Text pane of System Preferences, click the Text button at the top, and then add a text substitution by clicking the + button underneath the list. It won't work everywhere (for that you'll want a utility like Smile's TextExpander), but it should work in applications like Pages and TextEdit, and in Save dialog boxes.
- ACI US Changes Name to 4D (17 Apr 00)
Published in TidBITS 522.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Sleep Memory Extension Blocks Laptop Bug
- Look Elsewhere for PowerBook (FireWire) Security
- Connectix Ships Virtual PC with Linux
- ACTION Files 1.5.2 Update Released
- Poll Results: Palm Before the Storm
- Poll Preview: Clear as Mud
- Which Handheld Belongs in Your Palm?
- Building Characters: A Brief History of the Web War