Poll Results: Palm Before the Storm -- Apple's recent eye-catching designs have sparked debate as to whether the appearance of a device contributes to its success. Without its gumdrop shape and translucent plastics, would the iMac have been just another Performa? The same issue may impact handheld organizers; last week, we asked, "If you've been thinking about buying a Palm OS-based handheld device, which model do you find most appealing?" Surprisingly, the Palm V and Vx - Palm's slim aluminum-cased models - garnered 33 percent of the votes. Although the equally powerful Handspring Visor Deluxe garnered 23 percent of the responses, the Palm V and Vx models carry a considerably higher price tag. This suggests respondents are willing to pay more for a much smaller, lighter, and thinner device. The workhorses of the Palm line, the Palm III family, grabbed 20 percent of the votes, followed by the color Palm IIIc with 13 percent. [JLC]
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
Published in TidBITS 522.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Sleep Memory Extension Blocks Laptop Bug
- Look Elsewhere for PowerBook (FireWire) Security
- ACI Buys StarNine Technologies
- Connectix Ships Virtual PC with Linux
- ACTION Files 1.5.2 Update Released
- Poll Preview: Clear as Mud
- Which Handheld Belongs in Your Palm?
- Building Characters: A Brief History of the Web War
Poll Results: Palm Before the Storm
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and