Poll Results: Palm Before the Storm -- Apple's recent eye-catching designs have sparked debate as to whether the appearance of a device contributes to its success. Without its gumdrop shape and translucent plastics, would the iMac have been just another Performa? The same issue may impact handheld organizers; last week, we asked, "If you've been thinking about buying a Palm OS-based handheld device, which model do you find most appealing?" Surprisingly, the Palm V and Vx - Palm's slim aluminum-cased models - garnered 33 percent of the votes. Although the equally powerful Handspring Visor Deluxe garnered 23 percent of the responses, the Palm V and Vx models carry a considerably higher price tag. This suggests respondents are willing to pay more for a much smaller, lighter, and thinner device. The workhorses of the Palm line, the Palm III family, grabbed 20 percent of the votes, followed by the color Palm IIIc with 13 percent. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Published in TidBITS 522.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Sleep Memory Extension Blocks Laptop Bug
- Look Elsewhere for PowerBook (FireWire) Security
- ACI Buys StarNine Technologies
- Connectix Ships Virtual PC with Linux
- ACTION Files 1.5.2 Update Released
- Poll Preview: Clear as Mud
- Which Handheld Belongs in Your Palm?
- Building Characters: A Brief History of the Web War