Aladdin Acquires Trexar -- Aladdin Systems has announced its acquisition of Trexar Technologies, makers of specialized Mac OS Internet utilities MacTuner (for finding and connecting to Internet-enabled radio and television stations around the world), MacHeadlines (a desktop news ticker), and the long-popular WeatherTracker (which presents weather and forecast information for cities around the world). Trexar's privacy utility MacWasher is now available from Webroot Software, the company for which it was originally developed. Terms of the acquisition have not been disclosed, but Aladdin will be retaining Trexar's employees and supporting Trexar's products, although they overlap somewhat with other recent acquisitions, IntelliNews and MacTicker. Aladdin obviously feels that svelte, dedicated Internet information utilities have concrete benefits over enormous, general purpose Web browsers, particularly as Aladdin enters the Palm OS marketplace. Aladdin Systems is a current TidBITS sponsor; Trexar sponsored TidBITS in 1999. [GD]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World (03 Jul 00)