Aladdin Acquires Trexar -- Aladdin Systems has announced its acquisition of Trexar Technologies, makers of specialized Mac OS Internet utilities MacTuner (for finding and connecting to Internet-enabled radio and television stations around the world), MacHeadlines (a desktop news ticker), and the long-popular WeatherTracker (which presents weather and forecast information for cities around the world). Trexar's privacy utility MacWasher is now available from Webroot Software, the company for which it was originally developed. Terms of the acquisition have not been disclosed, but Aladdin will be retaining Trexar's employees and supporting Trexar's products, although they overlap somewhat with other recent acquisitions, IntelliNews and MacTicker. Aladdin obviously feels that svelte, dedicated Internet information utilities have concrete benefits over enormous, general purpose Web browsers, particularly as Aladdin enters the Palm OS marketplace. Aladdin Systems is a current TidBITS sponsor; Trexar sponsored TidBITS in 1999. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World (03 Jul 00)