Microsoft Violated Anti-Trust Laws -- U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson has ruled that Microsoft Corporation violated the Sherman Anti-Trust Act by using its position in the Web browser market to "the detriment of competitors." The judge also found that Microsoft could be liable under state anti-competition laws. Judge Jackson must now schedule hearings later this year to consider remedies for Microsoft's actions, which could include structural changes to the company, business restrictions, or an actual breakup of the company. The only major point on which Judge Jackson disagreed with the government's case was that Microsoft's marketing arrangements with other companies did not ultimately exclude Netscape's browser software from the worldwide browser market. Microsoft has repeatedly said it would appeal any ruling against it; experts estimate the case could easily drag out to the year 2002. Microsoft stock was down nearly 15 percent in anticipation of Judge Jackson's announcement, dragging the NASDAQ index down 7.63 percent in its largest single-day point decline in history. [GD]
iTunes Apps Tab in Landscape?
If your iPad is locked in landscape orientation when in the charging dock, apps in the Apps tab of iTunes will display in landscape orientation. (This also occurs when your iPad is not in the dock but connected to iTunes via the charging cable while in landscape orientation).
Other articles in the series Playing Monopoly!
- Microsoft Settles with AOL for $750 Million (02 Jun 03)
- Final Judgment in Microsoft Antitrust Case (04 Nov 02)
- Was Bill Gates Lying? (29 Apr 02)
- Proposed Microsoft Settlement Rejected (14 Jan 02)
- Into the Briar Patch: Microsoft's Self-Serving Settlement (03 Dec 01)
- Government Drops Microsoft Breakup Effort (10 Sep 01)
- Microsoft Appeals Monopoly Ruling to Supreme Court (13 Aug 01)
- Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (02 Jul 01)
- Judge Orders Microsoft Breakup; Company to Appeal (12 Jun 00)
- Judge Finds Microsoft a Monopoly (08 Nov 99)
- Microsoft Treading Antitrust Waters? (25 Mar 91)
- Microsoft and Intuit Terminate Merger (22 May 95)
- Truth, Justice, and the American Way (01 May 95)
- Can't Buy Me Love - Microsoft Antitrust Ruling (20 Feb 95)
- Antitrust Lawsuits Filed Against Microsoft (18 May 98)
- Who Do You Antitrust? Part 2 (23 Nov 98)
- Who Do You Antitrust? Part 1 (16 Nov 98)
- Microsoft Antitrust Case to Supreme Court (26 Jun 00)
Published in TidBITS 525.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
Microsoft Violated Anti-Trust Laws
Experience pro-level features like iCloud Drive, palm protection,
a new easy-to-use iOS 8 interface and more! Get full-featured PDF
editing power in a mobile app today! <http://smle.us/pdfpen2-ios-tb>