Outlook Express 5.0.2 Correction -- Last week we briefly noted the changes in Outlook Express 5.0.2 along with the review of Internet Explorer 5.0. Unfortunately, our information came from pages on Microsoft's Web site that, it turns out, were just plain wrong with regard to the progress window. The real deal is that, along with numerous bug fixes, performance enhancements and stability improvements, Outlook Express 5.0.2 now supports SMTP AUTH, a method of authenticating yourself to your SMTP server when sending mail. SMTP AUTH is useful because the SMTP server can reject attempts to send it mail from anyone who isn't authenticated, and that in turn prevents spammers from using the SMTP server. Our apologies for any confusion. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Internet Explorer 5.0 Redisplays the Web (27 Mar 00)