Virtual PC 3.0.3 Update Released -- Connectix has released Virtual PC 3.0.3 Updater, which improves compatibility for Windows 2000 and Red Hat Linux 6.1. The new version of the Pentium chip emulator also adds Velocity Engine (AltiVec) optimizations for Power Mac G4 machines, resolves an issue with iMac DV systems, and improves stability for sharing folders and drag & drop operations. The update is a 2.5 MB download, and is free for owners of Virtual PC 3.0. [JLC]
Option-Click AirPort Menu for Network Details
If you hold down the Option key while clicking the AirPort menu in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, you'll see not just the names of nearby Wi-Fi networks, but additional details about the selected network. Details include the MAC address of the network, the channel used by the base station, the signal strength (a negative number; the closer to zero it is, the stronger the signal), and the transmit rate in megabits per second showing actual network throughput. If you hover the cursor over the name of a network to which you're not connected, a little yellow pop-up shows the signal strength and type of encryption.
Published in TidBITS 529.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Government Recommends Microsoft Breakup
- FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes
- Apple Offers Free iMovie Download
- Handspring Releases Palm Desktop 2.6
- AOL 5.0
- Dartmouth Spins Off Software
- Poll Preview: Collateral Spammage
- Modifying the Macintosh Startup Sequence
- Email Spam: The Bandwagon Plays On, Part 2