HotSync 2.6.1 Fixes Palm Sync Problems -- Palm, Inc. has released HotSync 2.6.1, which solves a Palm handheld synchronization problem introduced by Apple's recent Mac OS 9.0.4 update. Changes in the Mac's USB software caused HotSync operations to time out, especially when using HotSync conduits for AvantGo and Outlook Express; the free HotSync 2.6.1 release fixes these problems. Existing Palm Desktop 2.5 users can install just the HotSync 2.6.1 software, a 1.8 MB download. New users or users of earlier versions of Palm Desktop need to download the free 6.6 MB Palm Desktop 2.6.1 package. This release comes on the heels of Handspring's Palm Desktop 2.6, which appears to be the same software on the surface, though Handspring's release presumably includes additional software for using its USB-only HotSync cradles with the Visor handheld. [JLC]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Handspring Releases Palm Desktop 2.6 (01 May 00)