Web Confidential 2.0 Syncs with Palm Devices -- Alco Blom has released Web Confidential 2.0, a major update to his $20 shareware Macintosh storage and organization utility for sensitive information (see "Web Confidential: Securing Information of All Sorts" in TidBITS-441). Foremost among Web Confidential's new features is support for synchronizing your Web Confidential data with Rene Laterveer's Web Confidential for Palm 1.0, a separate $20 shareware version that runs on Palm OS-based handheld devices and offers the same strong encryption to your sensitive information on the Palm. You can download and try the Palm version for 30 days, but the Web Confidential synchronization conduit is sent only to registered users. Web Confidential 2.0 also adds a few new features, including support for filling in Web forms in Netscape Communicator, a Last Modified attribute on cards, a cross-platform file format (though only unencrypted files are cross-platform at the moment), and minor changes to the program's categories. Web Confidential 2.0 is a free upgrade for registered users and is a 540K download; the Palm version is a 105K download. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Web Confidential 2.2.1 Adds Import and More (19 Mar 01)
- Web Confidential: Securing Information of All Sorts (03 Aug 98)