Web Companion 5.0v4 Plugs FileMaker Holes -- FileMaker Inc. has released Web Companion 5.0v4 to address the substantial Internet security holes in FileMaker Pro 5 and FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited. (See "FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes" in TidBITS-529.) Web Companion 5.0v4 honors field-level security settings, preventing miscreants from retrieving the contents of any field in a Web-published database using FileMaker 5's XML publishing capabilities or via email. The update also prevents FileMaker Pro 5 from being used to send anonymous email by disabling some of FileMaker 5's new email capabilities. The update is 573K and is recommended for all users of FileMaker Pro 5 and FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited who use Web Companion. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes (01 May 00)
Other articles in the series FileMaker 5
Web Companion 5.0v4 Plugs FileMaker Holes
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>