Web Companion 5.0v4 Plugs FileMaker Holes -- FileMaker Inc. has released Web Companion 5.0v4 to address the substantial Internet security holes in FileMaker Pro 5 and FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited. (See "FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes" in TidBITS-529.) Web Companion 5.0v4 honors field-level security settings, preventing miscreants from retrieving the contents of any field in a Web-published database using FileMaker 5's XML publishing capabilities or via email. The update also prevents FileMaker Pro 5 from being used to send anonymous email by disabling some of FileMaker 5's new email capabilities. The update is 573K and is recommended for all users of FileMaker Pro 5 and FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited who use Web Companion. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes (01 May 00)
Other articles in the series FileMaker 5
Web Companion 5.0v4 Plugs FileMaker Holes
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>