Tests & Fixes for Defective Palm DRAM -- Palm, Inc. has posted testing software for a problem caused by a batch of defective memory modules in Palm IIIc, IIIxe, and Vx handhelds manufactured between October 1999 and May 2000. The problem affects only 8 MB DRAM chips and can cause random data to be written to the handheld's memory. If you own one of these machines, go to the support section of Palm's Web site and enter your machine's serial number to determine if your device falls into the timeline. (Your serial number is on the back of your unit; if it has rubbed off, Palm provides instructions for accessing your serial number via software.) If your unit is potentially affected you'll be able to download the testing application, and a software patch is available to fix affected Palm IIIc and Vx units. (As of this writing, a patch is not yet available for the IIIxe.) The faulty DRAM also made its way into a few other Palm OS devices: Handspring, Inc. has posted a testing application (though it doesn't currently offer a fix) for its Visor line, while the Technology Resource Group (TRG) recommends that owners of TRGPro devices upgrade to its version of Palm OS 3.5.1. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- More Palm & Handspring DRAM Updates (31 Jul 00)
Published in TidBITS 537.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Clinton Signs Electronic Signature Bill
- Connectix Continues to Prevail Against Sony
- Webvan Buys HomeGrocer.com
- MRJ 2.2.2 Available
- GraphicConverter 3.9 Expands Image Support
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World
- Poll Results: We Live to Serve
- Poll Preview: What a Tangled Web We Weave
- Tools We Use: VSE Link Tester
- The MacHax Best Hack Contest 2000 Winners