Tests & Fixes for Defective Palm DRAM -- Palm, Inc. has posted testing software for a problem caused by a batch of defective memory modules in Palm IIIc, IIIxe, and Vx handhelds manufactured between October 1999 and May 2000. The problem affects only 8 MB DRAM chips and can cause random data to be written to the handheld's memory. If you own one of these machines, go to the support section of Palm's Web site and enter your machine's serial number to determine if your device falls into the timeline. (Your serial number is on the back of your unit; if it has rubbed off, Palm provides instructions for accessing your serial number via software.) If your unit is potentially affected you'll be able to download the testing application, and a software patch is available to fix affected Palm IIIc and Vx units. (As of this writing, a patch is not yet available for the IIIxe.) The faulty DRAM also made its way into a few other Palm OS devices: Handspring, Inc. has posted a testing application (though it doesn't currently offer a fix) for its Visor line, while the Technology Resource Group (TRG) recommends that owners of TRGPro devices upgrade to its version of Palm OS 3.5.1. [JLC]
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
- More Palm & Handspring DRAM Updates (31 Jul 00)
Published in TidBITS 537.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Clinton Signs Electronic Signature Bill
- Connectix Continues to Prevail Against Sony
- Webvan Buys HomeGrocer.com
- MRJ 2.2.2 Available
- GraphicConverter 3.9 Expands Image Support
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World
- Poll Results: We Live to Serve
- Poll Preview: What a Tangled Web We Weave
- Tools We Use: VSE Link Tester
- The MacHax Best Hack Contest 2000 Winners
Tests & Fixes for Defective Palm DRAM
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and