MRJ 2.2.2 Available -- Apple Computer has released Macintosh Runtime for Java (MRJ) 2.2.2, its Java virtual machine for the Mac OS. Version 2.2.2 claims to improve memory usage and fix an unspecified security issue when used with Internet Explorer 5.0. MRJ 2.2.2 does not address network connectivity problems some users experience with Internet Explorer 5, although Apple claims to be working on those issues. Not surprisingly, MRJ 2.2.2 does not implement Sun's Java 2 specification, instead sticking to JDK 1.1.8 and leaving Java on the Mac seriously behind other computing platforms. (Apple's Java efforts are primarily focused on the forthcoming Mac OS X which should offer substantial and up-to-date Java capabilities.) MRJ 2.2.2 is a 4.7 MB download and requires a PowerPC-based system running Mac OS 8.1 or higher. [GD]
Open Links from Apple Mail in the Background
If an email message in Mail includes a Web link which you'd prefer to check out after you've read all your mail, and you don't want to hunt for the link later, Command-click the link in the message to open a browser window in the background. Mail remains the foreground application, and the browser window can wait till you're ready.
Visit MacTipster blog
Published in TidBITS 537.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Clinton Signs Electronic Signature Bill
- Tests & Fixes for Defective Palm DRAM
- Connectix Continues to Prevail Against Sony
- Webvan Buys HomeGrocer.com
- GraphicConverter 3.9 Expands Image Support
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World
- Poll Results: We Live to Serve
- Poll Preview: What a Tangled Web We Weave
- Tools We Use: VSE Link Tester
- The MacHax Best Hack Contest 2000 Winners