Poll Results: We Live to Serve -- Coming on the heels of Ron Risley's article about turning a battered PowerBook 5300 into an Internet server, last week's poll asked which common Internet services, if any, you provide for other people from a Macintosh. Even though Ron's article showed how easy and inexpensive setting up Internet servers could be, relatively few people participated in the poll, and roughly a third of them said they didn't run any Internet servers at all. For those who did, a Web server was the most common, with FTP, email, file sharing, and mailing lists not far behind. DNS and media servers were less common, and it would seem that few people run BBS systems these days. If Ron's article has inspired you to connect multiple computers to a single high-speed Internet connection, be sure to check out the TidBITS Talk debate on the merits of software versus hardware routers. TidBITS Talk also carried a variety of additional details about Internet servers on the Mac. [ACE]
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
- Serving the Internet from a PowerBook 5300 (26 Jun 00)
Published in TidBITS 537.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Clinton Signs Electronic Signature Bill
- Tests & Fixes for Defective Palm DRAM
- Connectix Continues to Prevail Against Sony
- Webvan Buys HomeGrocer.com
- MRJ 2.2.2 Available
- GraphicConverter 3.9 Expands Image Support
- Aladdin Tuner 3.0 Connects to the World
- Poll Preview: What a Tangled Web We Weave
- Tools We Use: VSE Link Tester
- The MacHax Best Hack Contest 2000 Winners